Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Finally a find on my side

I've finally found something on one of my relatives.  In the 1911 census, my great grandfather was living in Dauphin Manitoba with one of his brothers and they both worked on building the railway and their birth country was Austria.  His immigration year is listed as 1906 while his brother's is 1910.  Searching ancestry had not turned up anything.  I recently got a subscription to findmypast and decided to give it a try.  I couldn't find much entering his last name and enabling variants but once I used a wildcard in the lastname I found him.  He arrived in Canada in 1902 on the SS Corinthian.  Using this information I went did a search of the database of passengers list (1865-1922) for the Corinitian on the Library and Archives Canada website and after searching a few pages there he was.  His occupation was listed as a furrier and his destination Toronto...  I then started a search for his brother.  While I didn't find him on findmypast may have found him on Ancestry, arriving in New York in 1907.  If this is really his brother, the passenger list records his birthplace as Bohorodczany,Austria and his mother's name as Maria...  If this is the correct person, he was eventually married to a woman named Julia, served in WWI and lived in Douglas Wis when he was attested as well as later in the 20s and 30s (census records)

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to let you know that I have selected your blog for the One Lovely Blog Award. If you go to my blog at http://ianhaddenfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/, you can copy your award badge for posting on your blog and you can find the award rules.

    ReplyDelete